Laundry Days Of Old
1.Build fire in back yard to heat kettle of rain water.
2. Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert
3. Shave one whole cake of Lye soap in boiling water.
4. Sort things, make 3 piles. I pile white, 1 pile colored and one pile work britches and rags.
5. To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
6. Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and then boil. Rub colored, don't boil, just rinse and starch.
7. Take things out of kettle with broomstick handle, then rinse and starch.
8. Hang old rags on fence.
9. Spread tea towels on grass.
10. Pour rinse water in flower bed.
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
12. Turn tubs upside down.
13. Go put on clean dress. Smooth hair with combs. Brew cup of tea and sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
Paste this over your washer and dryer. Next time you think things are bleak, read it again,
KISS THAT WASHING MACHINE AND DRYER AND GIVE THANKS !
First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also your toilet- those two holers used to get mighty cold!
Blessings from The Holler
The Canned Quilter