Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Indian Summer


An Indian Summer is a meteorological phenomenon that occurs in the autumn. It refers to a period of considerable above normal temperatures, accompanied by dry and hazy conditions, usually after there has been a frost. To say that the weather has been beautiful here would be an understatement. Although still nippy at night the days have been sunny with temperatures in the 70's and 80's.



The bees are buzzing trying to get in that last drop of  pollen



the grain fields sway in the breeze


Butterflies are migrating and feeding on their way through


The gravel roadside ditches full of viceroy butterflies feeding on the fall blooming aster, goldenrod and wild sunflowers in the ditches.



The corn hangs heavy and harvesting has already begun. You can sit on the porch and hear the far off engine sounds of the combines picking corn.


It is a time of work and harvest here on the plains. A time of preparation for the long winter ahead. Soon the hunters will come to hunt the deer and goose. Soon the snows will come. But for now we harvest.

Blessings from The Holler 

The Canned Quilter 

1 comment:

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails