Monday, October 25, 2010

Banana Nut Bread


While shopping the other day not only did I buy carrots at a great price but the grocery store was running a special on over ripe bananas for 30 cents a pound. So I bought 10 pounds. Once I got them home they were mashed and put into 1 cup freezer containers and frozen. They will be used through the winter for baby food for Baby Hank and one of our favorites here in The Holler. Banana Walnut Bread. Made with those fresh farm eggs and our own Hickery Holler walnuts. What could be better in the morning with a cup of coffee or that after school snack when the grandkids or Baby O get off the school bus.  This is the same recipe I have used for years. Just simple and straight forward using ingredients that I always have on hand. It makes a dark and moist bread that freezes and keeps well.


Banana Walnut Bread

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas ( 2 or 3)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 1 TBSP buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl combine eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. 

Add the flour mixture to the liquids mixture stirring just until moistened

Fold in nuts

Pour into a greased 9 X 5 X 2 loaf pan 

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until bread tests done!!!
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf

****Notes******

This recipe doubles well.
The riper the banana the more intense the banana flavor. 
You can add a hand full of chocolate chips to this recipe!
I test with a bamboo skewer stuck in the middle of bread like a tooth pick. If it comes out clean it is done. I usually have to cover with foil to prevent over browning and cook an additional 20 minutes.   
*************************************************************



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter



4 comments:

  1. Another good thing to add to banana bread is a ginormous spoon of peanut butter. If I fix banana bread, I omit the nuts but add the peanut butter. My monkeys will fight over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to buy bananas this morning! That bread is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect idea to freeze bananas for future cakes! I didn't know you could freeze banana's ...live and learn. and I just turned down some banana's...why didn't you write this last week :o(..
    Thanks for the cabbage hint....Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so good! I think I will give it a try this weekend, with my special twist- substituting overripe persimmons for the bananas. I tried it once:
    persimmon bread

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails