Saturday, September 4, 2010

Peach Pie


Now that the Indian Blood Peaches are starting to ripen the first picking goes to making a fresh peach pie. These peaches have such a unique flavor that no commercial peach or peach pie can compare. We have waited for this first pie all year. So O Wise One smoked one of our homegrown chickens. And I fried up some green tomatoes and made a loaf of homemade bread and sliced some cucumbers and plum tomatoes. And we feasted getting such a kick that our entire meal was homegrown with the exception of the bread flour. A true Hickery Holler meal : )

Peach Pie

2 pie crusts
7 cups of peeled and sliced peaches  
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp lemon juice
pinch of nutmeg

Peel and slice peaches

notice the red streaking running through the peach flesh of these Indian Blood Peaches 


Combine sliced peaches, sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir well and pour into pie shell

 

Dot with butter and put top crust on.
I brush top crust with a egg and milk wash then sprinkle a pinch of nutmeg on top .
Bake at 400 for 1 hour.



Try not to eat too much !!!

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. That pie looks so yummy I can almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see your Indian blood peach pie recipe. I have been looking to identify this variety for two years. I live in Georgia, born in Louisiana and my mother knows these as Indian peaches. A man brought me a tree 15 years ago and I love mine small peaches. Most references refer to them as large but mine are small. Do you know any history.

    here's the picture of the fruit.
    http://homeatlastwithpatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails