Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Freezing Okra



Growing up in Southern Louisiana okra was a staple. Easy to grow, heat loving and virtually indestructible. Deer love it though : )

With the okra coming in almost daily we are putting alot in the freezer. Some just sliced and blanched in microwave and then frozen on cookie sheets. Once frozen solid then it is bagged. This will be used for soups and gumbos and also for just putting in a hot skillet and frying with a little oil. Some will be used for smothering with a little bacon and onions and tomatoes. Sometimes with a little shrimp added and eaten over rice. 

Justin Wilson ( The Cajun cook) used to stuff it with shrimp and crabmeat and cheese then bread and fry it. Yum !!

My family loves it battered with a flour and cornmeal mixture and then fried. So I blanch it and then dip in a solution of eggs and milk and then dip it the cornmeal mixture and freeze it on cookie sheets. Then it is put in bags and frozen. Freezing it individual on cookie sheets prevents it from sticking together so bad once in the bags.   



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails