Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Asparagus Time





The Canning Season always starts with Asparagus. It's the first vegetable to come up and the first to be put in the freezer. We have 2 Asparagus beds.  The oldest we dug up plants out of an old fencerow and made a bed probably 12 years go. It gets fresh compost every year and is still going strong and many times with spears as big as your thumb.  The second bed is of newer plants that were purchsed. It has never done as well as the plants we dug. Maybe just the variety. The only problems we have ever had with our asparagus is keeping the deer and neighbors out of it. It seems to always start around spring turkey season and crappie fishing time : ) This year I want to try pickling some in addition to putting it in the freezer.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

1 comment:

  1. Oh jealous here!!! I have been wanting to get me a bed started for a long time but my "O Not-so-Wise One" is forever cutting or pushing down a tree or digging for something and I haven't decided where I would want it yet. A place where it would safe from his shananigans! How do think it would be under my very well established blueberry bushes (2 rows of 6 bushes)? There are a few daffodils under there that are doing well. Probably been there for 20 years now I think.

    Do you have a crappie pond? We have crappie that hide in our pond!! Never have caught one!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails