Sunday, September 11, 2022

Tomato Products


As  the rest of the country anticipated a shortage of tomato products in our future according to the recent  exploits of the media here I sit. Hip deep I tell you in nothing other than tomatoes. For the second year in a row a bumper crop of good old homegrown tomatoes. These days my kitchen table, kitchen counters and any other flat surface I can find is covered in seeds drying, vegetables ripening, vegetables waiting to be washed, blanched, chopped, dehydrated, frozen or canned. There is no tomato product shortage in The Holler. 
 

You can find tomatoes as they ripen cooking down in roasters and crockpots waiting to go into yummy dishes of some sort. These will be run through the immersion blender for homemade tomato sauce. 


On the table Rotel tomatoes in pint jars, Quarts of okra and tomatoes, canned chicken, watermelon seeds drying along with ripening tomatoes and green peppers. 


I caught navy beans on sale for $0.50 cents a pound so I bought 5 pounds. Came home and added onions, hamburger, maple syrup and homemade tomato sauce for 24 pints of barbecue beans.


I an also still processing fresh red beans. 


Yesterdays endeavor was taco soup with 3 pounds of dried black beans cooked until soft, 3 pounds of burger, and 3 pounds of corn, add hot peppers and onions chopped along with chili powder, cumin, homegrown garlic  and lots of cooked down fresh tomato sauce and I canned 12 jars of taco soup. 

Yes indeed the tomato products are flowing right now in my kitchen. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading about all that you can and harvest. It inspires me to do more...but you sure do make me hungry! ;-)

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your canning goodies look so yummy! I truly wish there was someone near me that could can extras to sell to me. I would rather pay them than the yuck filled canned good from the store. I don't have a canner or the strength to do the canning myself. The most I can do is water bath some jellies. Maybe some Amish stores? Not many of those in Florida though. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails