Thursday, September 8, 2022

Royal Golden Watermelon

 We all have things that we have had to learn to deal with and overcome in our lives. For me it is color blindness. One in every 12 men are color blind while one in every 200 women are color blind. The trait is genetic and runs in families. 

 I have also managed to pass my color blindness on to both a son and a grandson. This condition can make it very difficult to tell when vegetables are ripe. I have always especially struggled with watermelons until now. This year I grew an heirloom variety called "Royal Golden" from Bakers Creek. This variety has worked out great for me. While planted and grown just like a traditional watermelon this melon goes from green to yellow when ripe. I can see the difference between green and yellow. So I know when my watermelons look like pumpkins out in the field it is time to pick. Problem solved. The foliage tends to turn yellow also. 


When it first started out it looked like a traditional green watermelon with some yellow spots. As it ripens both the melon and the vine turn a bright golden yellow. 


When it turned yellow I picked them and was pleasantly surprised to find a perfectly ripe and sweet traditional pink ripe melon inside. My watermelons averaged out at about 20 pounds. 

A great old variety for those of you that struggle with telling when a melon is ripe.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


2 comments:

  1. What a delicious solution to your problem of color blindness. Now no problem deciding if they are ready. I love Baker Creek seeds, so many " new to me" seeds to try!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so impressed that you can grow such huge watermelons! I have never successfully grown one.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails