Wednesday, September 1, 2021

High Canning Season

 


Needless to say my canning tomatoes did wonderful this year. A bumper crop of beautiful large meaty tomatoes. 


And the green beans have finally found their stride and are producing like crazy. 


And my poor old fingers are worked to the bone! Look at those Harvest Guard reusable lids. Every single one of them sealed. I will admit I was a bit nervous using them still. I will get used to them maybe in another 40 years. 


I have started processing tomato sauce. Beautiful thick and creamy tomato sauce. 


And I still have a table full and still have tomatoes hanging in the garden. 

Hurricane Ida seems to be moving out of the area and we mostly just got rain. A little wind but not enough to damage anything. My baby brother down in Louisiana got a tree in his house. But other than that all my family is safe and well and the rest can be replaced. 

My carrots, green peas and mustard greens are up and growing for fall. 


I have started another pile of compost to accommodate all that I am pulling out of the garden. This is the third pile. These two are pretty well ready to go and will go into the boxes as soon as I am finished picking everything. 

Not posting much at the moment due to all this canning but thinking of you all. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter
****************************************************
I can also be found at 




6 comments:

  1. We had tomato gravy tonight for supper. I thought of you and your Daddy. Our tomatoes did not do as well as last year. But there's always next year!!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have tomato gravy that I don' think of my Daddy. The 4th of this month is his birthday. He would have been 90. And there is always indeed next year .

      Delete
  2. What variety of tomatoes do you grow? They always look so beautiful.
    After a very late start, my garden is just at its peak now too.. tomatoes & peppers coming out our ears. It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At some point this tomato came into being from cross pollination in my gardens over the last couple decades. It is a determinate paste tomato with very few seeds and very meaty. Does not require huge cages like the big indeterminates though. As you can see very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden harvests never disappoint! Awesome!

    I planted in two small raised beds this year but had great success even if it was a very small space. I used your method of making tomato sauce yesterday using Ivan tomatoes by coring and quartering tomatoes unpeeled, and added some whole cherry tomatoes, cooked in my crockpot with a small amount of water. Then used the wand mixer until smooth and canned on my propane fish cooker outside. It was dreamy easy! Brilliant! I loved not dealing with the peels. Smelled like heaven too! This year I planted two small areas of black beans. Trail of Tears are pole beans and black turtle are bush. They both did great and I loved picking dry pods when I had time to get to them. I will use them for seeds next year but I got more than a pint from my two tiny bean patches. My canning is a pittance compared to yours but it was fun and felt great to put up some stuff from my own garden. I canned peach and strawberry preserves (not from my own garden), squash pickles, pickled beets and beet jelly this summer. I want to do more tomato sauce and also pepper jelly in the next few weeks. We also froze a bunch of ears of sweet corn given to us by friends so it’s been a good summer for garden produce around here.

    I always look forward to your posts and pics of your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well bless your heart! I love it when people write back to tell me of their successes. I hope your gardening future is long and successful. It can become a lifelong addiction.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails