Tuesday, September 28, 2021

A Busy Autumn

 


As September winds down we continue to be blessed with regular harvest as we await the first frosts to arrive. Sweet potatoes are a personal favorite and did well this summer. They will be wonderful baked and maybe a pie or two. 


The tomatoes are still plentiful and I have quit canning tomato products and am now dehydrating some for powder. We have enjoyed fried green tomatoes a couple times and still continue to enjoy cucumbers and tomato salads regularly.


I have started harvesting fall cabbage for eating fresh and also for a batch of kraut to enjoy this winter for the fridge.  Bell Pepper crop was plentiful and my freezer is full of frozen peppers for winter cooking. I also dehydrated some for long term storage. 


September has been a rough month for us this year. Covid seems to be plentiful in the area and we are trying to stay safe and avoid going out as much as possible. While we have had vaccines we still try to be safe so as not to contribute to the problem. 

We received word that we lost yet another friend last week to Covid. Friends in our age bracket have a rough time withstanding the effects of this virus it seems. I also got a call from my best friend as she sat in the Atlanta airport flying out. It seems that she was notified that her sister and her husband had been killed in an accident. Her 11 year old granddaughter had been in the car with them and was also killed. So much tragedy and my heart just mourns for the pain for these families. 

On a more positive note I celebrated yet another birthday this month. I remain relatively healthy and active as does my husband and we  truly feel blessed for that. We received word that our grandchildren will be visiting for the Thanksgiving break so gracious things should be hopping in November. 

So now begins the fall cleanup. Applying compost to the beds after they are cleaned. Pulling plants and starting new compost piles. Lots of seeds drying in dishes around the house and we continue to harvest figs. Time to make winter kraut also. And lots of pruning once frost hits on all those berry bushes. 

So despite the disease and deaths life continues here in our little peaceful corner of the world. We concentrate on being thankful for our blessings and our lives are filled with work daily to care for our property, gardens and our livestock and pets.  Our pantry and freezers are overflowing and our jars are again full. I ordered some new quilt backing and some yarn and now hope to soon switch gears and concentrate on a winter quilt project and maybe some knitting in front of the fireplace once the gardens are put to bed. 

I got my first seed catalog yesterday for plenty of winter dreaming while planning next years escapades in the gardens.

I wish you all health and happiness and a beautiful fall season.

Blessings from The Holler

CQ

*******************************************

I can also be found at 



1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, I cannot even imagine her pain. When you hear of tragedies like this it makes you realize how blessed you are in life! I know no matter how busy I am, I am blessed by so much and am grateful for all I have. The garden is still doing well as it winds down. And I have seeds all over our home drying, too. When I look at them I smile and think of next year's garden. New things to try...what fun!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails