Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Rhubarb and Asparagus

 


Rhubarb and asparagus that is what I am picking in my garden right now. The rhubarb got hit in the recent hail storm and the leaves are a bit beat up but they go into the compost anyway. Rhubarb struggles a bit here compared to my Missouri farm. It appreciates a little afternoon shade and lots of compost because of the sandy soil but other than that is a trooper. I freeze it right now because I have more freezer space than canning lids. These are the times and praying this too shall pass. It is a great perennial plant that is easy to propagate and suffers from few diseases or pests and is useful for many different things. It can be cooked down for drinks or made into pies, cakes or crumbles. It makes a great wine too. Every couple years I separate the crowns and divide.  So for the work I have to put into this plant it produces dependably every year and is hardy and healthy. A great plant for the garden. 



The other thing I am picking and freezing right now is asparagus. Another great perennial investment. I have 2 large beds of asparagus. The crowns are inexpensive as a rule and while a little effort upfront is required to get them started once started they produce for decades. They are cold hardy and mine suffer from few diseases or pests. I do have more of a problem on this farm with asparagus beetles and have to spray them with Neem or pyrethrin a time or two a year.  They require more feeding here because of the sandy soil though. 

For the little effort I put into these plants I get dependable harvests ever year. For us that is a plus always. So for those of you just starting out I highly recommend these two plants. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I’d like to ask about your asparagus. Do you find a particular fertilizer to be the most beneficial. I love asparagus,however it struggles in my Ohio valley soil.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loe to use rabbit poo! My absolute favorite. In a pinch I have used the bagged Black Cow manure compost that you buy in bags from Lowes. I also like the Espoma organic vegetable garden granules. I have never burned anything with these 3. I also add huge amounts of homemade compost and believe strongly in mulches. My favorite mulch by far is horticultural wood chips ( tree trimmings) when I can get them from the power company when they are maintaining the lines in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom has rhubarb and I wanted to give some to a friend, but have never divided rhubarb before, how do you do it? Spring or Fall?

    Thanks,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to see you posting again! I haven't checked in your blog in a while. Catching up now!
    We moved last year and my rhubarb did not transplant well. It was doing fine but when summer hit, it died off. So I guess I will replant next year. I also want to try growing asparagus. I live in TN, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try replanting your rhubarb in a little bit of shade in really good soil with lots of amendments. It is a heavy feeder but in the south it balks at that brutal afternoon heat.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails