Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Fruit 2021


Looks like my summer will be busy. The spring was cool and wet then we had about 2 weeks of hot weather in the 80's and dry and now it is back in the upper 70's and mid 80's but the rain is coming pretty regular. The fruit trees are loving the rain though.  The gooseberry bushes are loaded with some of the largest gooseberries I have ever seen. The black currant are loaded as well. 


The blueberries had not one but 2 killer frosts and a light dusting of snow while in bloom. We just knew that it would knock off the blooms without maturing. But you know they are absolutely loaded.



Same with the plum trees as they are sporting a bumper crop. 


The peaches were not so fortunate. They still have peaches on the tree but they lost the bulk of the peaches to frost. 

The elderberries are loaded with blooms also. We did lose all the Nanking cherries to frost. The fig trees are finally taking off with new growth as the weather warms up more. The blackberries and grapes are blooming and setting fruit. I even have mulberries for the first time here on my 3 year old tree.  Add to that a bumper crop of rhubarb and asparagus.

Even though I am no longer on a huge 70 acre farm anymore I am impressed with the amount of fruit I can produce in a year on much smaller acreage. 

We will take the blessings though and be ever thankful.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

************************************

I can also be found at 



 

2 comments:

  1. It sure sounds like a great year ahead for you! We planted an apple and plum tree this year. It's the start of our orchard. I'm excited to begin! My hope is to plant many native trees and shrubs. I'm planning on Pawpaw for next Spring. Not sure what else, but it will be fun deciding. :-)

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all the fun is in the planning and picking out. Walking through my garden every year I can remember which friend or child gave me that tree as a gift. or that tree that has a special meaning to us. Gardens are about dreams and memories. My pets are buried among my flowers and shrubs and I have markers around the gardens commemorating lost loved ones. Bird houses made by my husband. Chimes given to me by my grandchildren. Life started in a garden so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails