Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles



When I went to Knoxville last week I visited my BFF. She was getting ready to leave town to go to her son's house that just had a new baby so she needed to pick her garden and did not have enough time to deal with it. So she sent the goodies home with me. Lots of small pickling cucumbers and I knew exactly what I wanted to make with them. I was craving some bread and butter pickles to munch on this summer. So i dug out my Refrigerator Bread and Butter recipe. 

Bread and Butter Pickles

  • 1 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced thin (about 6 cups)
  • 1 1/2 TBSP Kosher salt
  • 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp celery seeds
  • 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
  1. Combine cucumber and salt in a large shallow bowl, Cover and chill 2 hours.


2. Move cucumbers to a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain cucumbers and return to bowl. Add onions and toss with cucumbers. 



3. Combine granulated sugar, white vinegar and apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, water, and spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugars completely dissolve.


4. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. 




5. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. 

6. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. 



I tripled this recipe and it made 2 half gallon jars.. That should get us through the summer. And quench my craving for bread and butter pickles. 



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter




1 comment:

  1. I might give this a try when I get some of my canned pickles from last year eaten up. I went a little crazy and made a few dozen of different kinds after buying waaaay too many at the farmers market. I was handing out jars of pickles to anyone that came over! Lol I just canned a batch of sweet and spicy coins last weekend because those are my favorite, but I would like to find a dill version using lime as my husband does not care for any from last year because they weren’t crunchy enough and the crunchy ones I did make were sweet and he doesn’t care for those either. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails