Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Baby O's Favorite Okra


The okra is coming in strong now that the temperatures have again climbed in the 90's. We are picking it everyday and I am freezing it almost daily. I did want to show everyone the way that Baby O loves her okra. Most people know of fried okra that is breaded but this is more roasted than fried although I do use a skillet. Just wash and allow your okra pods to thoroughly dry. Then slice your okra. If the knife is dry and the okra is dry there should be NO SLIME! 



Basically I just heat up a skillet and place about a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom then set your fire on about medium low. Then throw that sliced okra in there and spread it out. 


Let it cook stirring every so often to turn those slices. You are wanting to slowly cook the vegetable and toast the outside of the pod. Almost like toasting nuts in a skillet. This caramelizes the sugars and once your okra is soft and done then your okra is done. Baby O likes her toasted somewhat dark but you get the idea. Then I take it out and drain on a paper bag or absorbent paper towel and then salt with a sprinkle of sea salt. Keep the olive oil light and you have a healthy low fat way to eat okra. This gives okra a great flavor and NO SLIME : ) 

This  works best with fresh okra so eat your fill while it is summer although I have done it with frozen but I think fresh is the best !


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

6 comments:

  1. I have been reading your posts on okra and I have enjoyed them. I have never had okra and I think that this would be the way that I would like to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love Okra!! This is closer to how I grew up eating okra than with a heavy breading.. We did toss it in a little bit of corn meal or flour but not much sticks on it.. just a sprinkling..

    Im with Baby O.. I like it on the dark side & so do my kids. And of course, my mom did too so that why we all like it that way. ;)

    I did this in the oven a few days ago which is great if its cold outside & you need the house heated up & space on the stove top.

    Enjoying your okra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! We had fried okra last night, so I'm gonna try this next. It's my first year to grow okra and it's been such a joy. Thanks for all the wonderful okra info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried this for supper tonight and it was great! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how my mom used to fix it when we were kids. Except we did deal with the slime. But us kids all loved it so much that we would get a serving then dad would count it out to divide it evenly.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails