Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Jambalaya


Nothing feels like home to me more than a big pot of jambalaya or gumbo. As the temperatures cool off a bit it is the perfect time for a nice pot for a Sunday afternoon meal.    


Making jambalaya or gumbo to me is more a process than a recipe but I will try to share. So many times this dish is simply made with whatever wild game combination is available at the time including rabbit, alligator or turtle to name a few. But today I am making mine with chicken and venison sausage. First I place a pound of of sliced smoked venison sausage in a large heavy bottomed pot along with 2 medium sized chopped onions. Saute  in a little olive oil until the onions are just translucent.  



Then to this pot I am going to add 1 quart chicken stock, 1 quart chicken meat with broth and  1 pint tomatoes. For seasoning 1 cup dehydrated green onions, 1/4 cup dehydrated parsley, and 1/4 cup dehydrated bell peppers. Then to the pot add 1 1/2 cups raw long grain rice.



Now I season my pot with 2 tsp. Tony Cachere's salt free cajun seasoning, 1 tsp granulated garlic,  and 2 tsp poultry seasoning. I also put in a couple drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce ( totally optional ). 





As you can see you will need a pretty large pot for this. I either use my large dutch oven or this large Magnalite chicken cooker.

Now bring your pot to a boil and boil until ALMOST all the liquid is below the top of the rice mixture. Stir well.......

Then reduce heat to lowest setting and place a tight fitting lid on pot. Do not open lid. Let simmer for 30 minutes then turn the pot OFF.

Let the pot sit undisturbed for 45 minutes with the lid on. Do NOT PEEK. Then remove lid.




Now take a fork and fluff your jambalaya. The rice should have absorbed most of the liquid.




I served mine with some crusty french bread.



And for dessert I had a pumpkin getting a bad spot so I made 2 pumpkin pies. One for us and the other I sent to the neighbor.




Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter



4 comments:

  1. I would love to be your neighbor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO WEE !! looks tasty ! Thanks for sharing I have never tried it but now seeing this I will give it a whirl ! Have an awesome day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails