Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cabbage Roll Casserole




What do you do when you have lots of cabbage or maybe it's on sale at the market? 


Maybe make sauerkraut? You can find the recipe here



Or throw some good homemade venison sausage, onions and potatoes in with it..
Find that recipe here

Or maybe try this cabbage roll casserole....We love cabbage rolls but who has time to stand and steam and roll all those leaves? 


Cabbage Roll Casserole

2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 pint jars tomato sauce
1/2 large head of cabbage chopped bitesize
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 tsp salt 1 quart beef broth

Preheat oven to350. In a large skillet , brown beef over medium heat and drain. In a large mixing bowl combine onion, tomato sauce, cabbage rice and salt. Add meat and mix together. Pour mixture into a large baking dish. ( 9 X 13 or larger depending on size of cabbage head) Pour broth over meat mixture, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and stir. Replace foil and bake for another 30 minutes. Cover with cheese if desired and let stand for about 15 minutes. Serves 10 - 12

***** I saute green peppers and add. I also add a clove of garlic minced. When it comes out of the oven hot I sprinkle with grated cheese and allow to melt. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

16 comments:

  1. That's reminds me, I haven't had lunch today!!! I can almost smell and taste it. One I will be trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing it with us, CQ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good dish to me! I like your recipe, think I'll try it one day..Today was a kraut making and teaching day for me also :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you!! My daughter wants me to make sauerkraut

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freeze the head of cabbage first and then thaw. The leaves will come off nice, soft, and ready to roll! Or chop and make a casserole. Regardless, you can't go wrong with stuffed cabbage!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a must try. I also don't like to steam and stuff. Takes too much time from my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a nervous cook but this looked easy enough. Well, turns out it barely fit in my largest baking pan, my 13x9. Also, I had trouble knowing how much tomato sauce was 2 pints (I googled and then used 4 cups) and how many cups of beef broth was a quart. I used 4 cups of beef broth (is 4 cups a quart?) and couldn't fit it all, the broth was almost running over the pan! I'm so nervous, did I use too much sauce and broth? I hope it turns out okay or I'll never hear the end of it from my husband! He usually doesn't like my cooking! :-) Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: Didn't you ever go to school? I remember learning 'measurements' in the 4th grade!

      Delete
    2. Why do people have to be so mean!! Was that reply even necessary??

      Delete
  8. Thanks! Made this for dinner last night, there were no leftovers. My grown son, his friend & my sis in law ate like they were starved! I about had to beat them off to get some on my plate! I did add 3 crushed garlic cloves as we love garlic. This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much this was amazing even my VERY picky son loved it I'm polish and one of our dishes is galumpki which is stuffed cabbage

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooo good with a dollop of sour cream on top

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this for dinner tonight and it was a hit. I did add the green pepper and garlic and used a can of diced tomatoes also. Excellent. Family loved it. Makes ALOT!! Try it, you'll like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made mine with sauerkraut...like I do my cabbage rolls...I also just used V8 juice and tomatoes...Great Meal....we loved it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been making cabbage rolls for years, but this is certainly a new recipe to try. Can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails