Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Day Of Baking


This time of year with so may chores outside to catch up on it is sometimes hard to get the inside work done as well. Last weekend brought warm weather and sunshine and all the spring chores that come with that. Sunday night and Monday morning brought rain and cooler temperatures and windy conditions. It was the perfect time to catch up on the housework and baking until the weather cleared so that I could again work outside. So Monday was a housework day and Tuesday was catching up on the baking. 

I threw a venison roast in the crock pot to cook all day for shredded venison sandwiches. Spring and summer I use my crock pot more than probably any time of year. It is so nice to come in from a day of working outside to a hot home cooked meal ready to serve.




Shredded Venison Sandwiches
                                   ( A pork or beef roast can be substituted for venison)

1 boneless venison roast ( 4 pounds)
1  1/2 cups ketchup
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp ground mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Liquid smoke (optional)
2 tsp each celery salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp onion powder and garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Cut venison roast in half and place in a 5 quart slow cooker
In a large bowl combine all other ingredients. Stir to combine and pour ketchup mixture over venison roast. Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.

2. Remove roast and set aside to cool. Shred cooled meat with two forks and return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve on buns.


( This recipe originally came from Taste of Home)




I also made homemade hamburger buns to go with them. Any bread recipe can be made into buns. It is just 2 ball of dough one on top of the other with a layer of butter between. My family like big fluffy buns for hamburgers and sloppy joes. You could definitely make them smaller if you like.


And to go with those pulled venison sandwiches some herbed oven fries.

 And for dessert.....


Apple pie made from my home grown canned apple pie filling.


With the leftover dough an extra loaf of bread for the week for sandwiches and breakfast toast. And a pumpkin pie made with the traditional Libby's recipe just substituting my own homegrown pumpkin puree from the freezer.


Baby Hank munched on cheerios and helped grandma cook !


This morning it is still cool but hoping for some warmer weather this afternoon and more bed cleaning. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. Those pies look delicious and so do those beautiful hamburger rolls (however you made them :o)...Baby hank looks like he just polished off a few :o)..

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails