The other day I pickled Asparagus and I saved the trimmings from the end of the spears that I had to cut away so they would fit in pint jars. So for supper that night I made a 7 layer salad and this asparagus casserole. It turned out great and is a good way to use up those trimmings that are tender. Any trimmings that were not tender went to the chickens.
Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
2 cups asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 oz mushrooms sliced
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 oz french fried onions
1. Butter a 9 inch casserole dish
2.Put a layer of asparagus on bottom and then top with a can of mushroom soup
3. put sliced mushrooms on top of soup and then add a layer of 1/2 the cheese
4. Add second layer of asparagus and end with a layer of other 1/2 of cheese
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly
6. Sprinkle Onion rings on top and put back in the oven for 5 minutes to brown.
What a great way to use up those trimmings and have a quick side dish for supper after a day of canning.
Blessings from The Holler
The Canned Quilter