Friday, September 16, 2022

Gooseberry Jam

 


Harvests are starting to slow down some. Yesterday I picked the first of the winter squash which is a butternut variety. I don't even know what variety as I first saved the seeds from a squash purchased commercially long ago. For the moment I am starting to process down some of the fruit that I tucked in the freezer this spring until I had time to process at a later date. I grow so much that I have to do this often times to get around to everything.  SO I make jellies and preserves in the fall to cleanout the freezer for fall meats. 

First thing I did was take out my frozen gooseberries to thaw for a recipe I am posting a table below from the National Center for Home Food Preservation on canning jams and jellies with no added pectin
if you want to use pectin you can usually find the recipe in the Sure-Jell Box. As for me I just add sugar and in some instances lemon juice. 





Table 1. Ingredient Quantities.
FruitCups Crushed FruitCups SugarTbs. Lemon JuiceYield (Half-pints)
Apricots4 to 4-1/2425 to 6
Berries*4403 to 4
Peaches5-1/2 to 64 to 526 to 7
* Includes blackberries, boysenberries, dewberries, gooseberries, loganberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

I had a pretty healthy gooseberry harvest this year and froze most of them so I had lots of gooseberries to work with. I made jam with some, pie filling with some and then canned some simply in a super light syrup for juice to add to ice tea similar to lemon juice. 



It was pretty simple and straight forward with 4 cups sugar and 4 cups fruit cooked down to the soft gel stage and then put in jars and water bathed. I like canning in these small batches when I have a bit of time here and there. 


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

1 comment:

  1. I just love your posts! Thank you for sharing this. It's always a joy to check your blog and see a new post up.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails