Monday, June 20, 2022

Canning Gooseberry Pie Filling

 


With gooseberries hanging off the bushes my June fruit crop is gooseberries, plums, rhubarb, strawberries and black currants. Makes for a busy month to say the least. As my service berry/june berry trees and mulberry trees mature that will add 2 more fruit crops to June. 


But I still have frozen gooseberries from last year's harvest. So to make room for the new fruit in the freezer I decided to can some gooseberry pie filling. This will also make it shelf stable for years to come. I use it for pies and cobblers or add it to cake mix for a dump cake or even to the top of cheesecake. It is also great over vanilla ice cream. 

Gooseberry Pie Filling

1 3/4 cups clear jel
7 cups sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
7 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice
7 cups cleaned gooseberries. 

1. Combine clear jel, water and sugar in a heavy bottomed pot and cook until clear and thick.

2. Add lemon juice and stir and allow to cook for a minute or two.

3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and gooseberries to pot and stir well and allow to heat up. 

4. Hot pack into hot jars and water bath for 35 minutes. 




Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails