Monday, August 16, 2021

Carrot Seeds

 


While recuperating from surgery last week I was looking for tasks that I could do while sitting and not exerting myself too  much. The week before I had harvested carrot seed heads that had dried out in the garden and put them in brown paper bags to dry. With rain in the future forecast for 4 or 5 days in a row I wanted to keep them somewhat dry if possible. Sitting at the table and picking out carrot seeds was the perfect job for me. Or so I thought.


So with morning coffee in hand me and the carrot seeds bonded. Talking about a boring job. Like watching paint dry or something. 


And of course the seeds are fuzzy and stick together. See how tiny they are.



Well I got most of them separated. I now have carrot seeds to plant a bajillion acres of carrots. But you know what with the way things are going these days with seeds I think I will just be thankful and hang on to them. I am going to let them dry more for now. Since they are spread out more I am hoping in another week or so I can run them through a colander and most of the fuzzy hairs will come off. With summer rains and high humidity it seems to take some time to get them good and dry but you do not want to store them until they are dry or they will mold in storage. 

This is the heirloom variety DanversDanvers carrots are medium sized carrots, often called “half size.” They were once a choice carrot for their flavor, especially when young, because mature roots can become fibrous. Danvers was an early orange cultivar. Danvers carrots were developed in the 1870’s in Danvers, Massachusetts. The variety was shared with Burpee in 1886 and became a popular seed due to the root’s deep orange color and rich flavor. This variety does better than many popular carrots because it forms nice roots even in heavy, shallow soils.

My original seeds came from Everwilde Farms my favorite source for heirloom and open pollinated seeds. 

I also found this video on YouTube that I found very interesting for planting carrots. I plan to give it a try!


With rain all weekend I am off to the yard to try to tame the lawn before it invades. I think it grew 2 inches overnight. 

Blessings from the Holler

The Canned Quilter
**************************************************

I can also be found at 

7 comments:

  1. Saving seeds is the best thing to do. Once a standard practice, but not anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you had a recipe for homemade Rotel tomatoes? Thanks for sharing if you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this recipe

      https://canninggranny.blogspot.com/2012/07/canning-homemade-ro-tel.html

      Delete
  3. What a great tip about sowing carrot seeds! I have had a lot of trouble growing carrots because they dry out so easily. This year I presprouted and grew them in containers. It worked really well! Learned about it from Home Grown Veg on Youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrZIwOWNvem_IAuGgmIWlg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for me carrots are notoriously finicky also. I have never tried presprouting them.

      Delete
  4. I have never been able to successfully grow carrots. This fall I want to try again.....any pointers on how to grow them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These seeds are from last year's fall planting of carrots. The trick to planting carrots for me is keeping them moist and having a bed of deeply prepared soil. Super crumbly. Once planted I cover them with a board until they sprout and spray them several times a day. Once they come up you want to fertilize them regularly. Grow them off fast. Super fast with lots of fertilizer.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails