Monday, July 19, 2021

Deadheading & Summer Cleanup


The Daylilies were beautiful this year along beside the blue blooms of the large hosta. With the summer heat and a 2 inch rain last night to beat everything down not so much now. Limbs are on the ground from the storm also. I think my project for the week will be deadheading all the spent blooms from the hosta and daylilies and building a new compost pile with them. I have some additions from the chicken pen cleanout last week that I will add to it also. All that chicken poo should make for a good hot compost pile.


I planted Stella D Oro daylilies along the front of the big asparagus bed. I had some daylilies that needed thinning and thought that would make a pretty bed once the asparagus leafs out every year. I noticed last week that I have asparagus coming up in other beds that needs to be dug where the birds have planted it also. 


The hedge row is coming along nicely on the west fence. The plums are pretty well gone now and after I rake the mulch under the trees and get up any residual fruit pits or fruit and clean up the plums will be officially finished for the year. 

Sounds like a full week along with canning another batch of beets that looks to be ready. 

Floating in zucchini and squash but enjoying having it fresh. 

Just another busy summer week in the garden. 

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

***************************************

I can also be found at 

 

3 comments:

  1. I am also drowning in some fresh garden produce, but not complaining. I didn't grow any beets this year, but have the best memories of my paternal grandmother making pickled beets with her fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grow the variety Cylindra beets every year and make a few jars of pickled beets we eat them in our salads throughout the year. Have you seen the price of those things in the store. They must be coated in gold or something.

      Delete
  2. Love fresh beets...warm right out of the skin.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails