Monday, November 25, 2013

Holler Update


The beautiful colored leaves of autumn are gone now and the woods are now bleak with their bare trees. Heavy frosts blanket the holler pretty well every morning now as we slide deeper into the clutches of winter. As in the summer during gardening season I continue to rise early to see the sun rise by nothing else but habit probably. Sunday's sunrise above was a gorgeous one as it set the morning sky on fire with it's red, yellows and oranges.  

Many have emailed and left messages concerned by my silence and all I can say is bless your hearts! Not long after I published the post with the recipe from my ex mother in law the other day for the muffins than she passed away. Grandmother to 4 of my 5 children she was truly a remarkable woman in her eighties, surviving two bouts with cancer and inspiring generations with her devotion to her God, family and her husband of 60 years. My oldest daughter "Fred" took her grandmothers death extremely hard. I babysat her young children while she prepared for a drive across country with the two boys to go and pay her respects to her grandmother one final time. 

Once back from the funeral we then picked up my oldest son from the airport who stayed 5 days and visited, hunted a little and enjoyed his time on the farm. He managed to get back on the plane with an ice chest full of venison and duck meat frozen and will enjoy the fruits of his visit for many months to come. While he was here we celebrated our Thanksgiving early with a huge family dinner. So there was lots of baking and cooking going on too. 

We enjoyed ham, au gratin potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade rolls and chocolate pecan, chocolate cream, lemon cream, pumpkin and apple pies. 


Last week was also a very difficult week for me because I celebrated a milestone. Last week was 5 years ago that I was in remission for my cancer. I so remember the doctor sitting there telling me that after 5 years they considered me cured. I can't help but remember all the wonderful people that I met along the way in the hospitals and doctors offices that did not win their own battles. Those that did not last that 5 years. I guess I have a touch of survivors guilt but I will not dwell on it too long. I will simply be thankful and move on. 


Deer season is also open and we are processing venison right now. 


In going through my storage onions I found some with soft spots and had to go through the entire lot and pick out any with bad spots. I simply chopped them up and threw them in the dehydrator. We continue to eat storage apples in pies and muffins and last night had baked sweet potatoes from not this year but the year before. Simply wrapped in newspapers and stored in a cardboard box on the floor of my cool pantry under the shelves in the dark they have lasted an entire year. With a crop failure this year I am thankful that I kept that many in storage and canned as many as I did. 


Trapping season is also open right now and O Wise One is running his trap lines as usual. A few years ago he was the only one around that trapped. This year when he went to purchase his licence the lady told him she had sold more trapping licences this year than she ever had.  I guess in a bad economy people are making money where they can. It remains to be seen how that will affect the prices of the pelts.  


So you see life has been very busy here and I am exhausted. Now that we have had our big family meal we look forward to a quiet Thanksgiving Day with just Baby O, O Wise One and I.  

What's going on in your neck of the woods?

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

   

19 comments:

  1. So glad to see you are back and that your immediate family is okay. I was getting worried, but did not want to add to the emails I figured you were getting. I love to read your blog for many reasons. I have learned so much from you and just reading the posts helps to encourage me to do what I can on my little piece of land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CQ!
    I'm very happy to hear from you. May the Lord bless your family with peace and comfort as you grieve. I continue to be amazed at the resourcefulness you and your husband exhibit to the world. What an extraordinary example.
    Blessings to you in the Holler,
    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you back. Congratulations on your continued good health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your mother in law and very relieved you are well. Another year cancer free is a great accomplishment so much congratulations to you. My stepfather past two years ago to lung cancer. I remember all we met aling the way for his treatments. My husband and I are seeing some pretty hefty bucks the past few weeks on our nightly drives which is unusual for us to see. I can't help but wish I had the freezer chest I want as that would be some good meat that would last us a long while. Hope OWO has good luck on his trap lines this year. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CQ,

    My deepest sympathy to your family on the your loss of your ex-mother in law.

    I know it's been a hard 5 years, congratulations and God Bless you.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and stay warm!!!

    It's going to be a small Thanksgiving get together hubby, son, and myself. My family, staying in Texas. Dad has been cured from his metastatic carcinoma but is unable to get around. He became to thin, he's stuck in bed. Working hard to get back on his feet. Our other kids are celebrating with their own families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you back! You were missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been in my thoughts and prayers~ I wondered, too, why you had been so quiet. Sorry to hear of the hard time in your family. Hope your Thanksgiving is peaceful and wonderful, Momma Hooch:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...you sure did have a busy time! i am so sorry for your family's loss but it sounds as though she lived a good, rich life and loved many. your early thanksgiving sounds like a delicious success...will you be repeating the meal with local family again this week? that is a lot of cooking. :) heartfelt congratulations on achieving your five year milestone. you have worked hard to maintain your good health and i hope it remains the same. so glad to see a post from the holler again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CQ - So happy to see your post! I am so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's passing. She sounds like a wonderful person! So happy also for your 5 year milestone. I am so thankful to have found your blog. You are teaching me so much!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you back! Sorry for the loss in your family, but it sounds like she lived a long life. So glad to hear of your 5 year milestone and enjoy your quiet Thanksgiving. It sounds like you have had a busy few weeks so I am sure you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you are back, so glad... I figured you were dealing with life and was just hoping it was being kind to you... relax for a good long bit and take your time getting around to that turtle stew recipe... ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am happy to see you back. sometimes we just have lots of life things happening. so sorry for your family's loss
    we had 45 mile an hour winds here during opening gun season-so as a result no venison for us yet-and its been very very cold here too-hoping this coming week will be warmer so we can go out
    have a good week
    hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post today was good timing because I was beginning to go through Hickery Holler withdrawal. So happy to read you've been 5 years in remission and saddened to read about your children's grandmother's death. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see you back CQ! I come to your page daily and was so bummed to see no new updates until today! You fulfill all of us with such great knowledge and you are such a blessing to us avid readers. Sorry about your loss but it seems you got in some great family time and I'm sure you all reminisced about the great times you had with your Mother In Law. You were missed greatly by all of us and we are happy to see you back on the web!

    ReplyDelete
  15. CQ! I figured you were busy, but I'm so glad you came back to visit us. So sorry to hear of your loss. You've been celebrating life in many different ways. Happy 'quiet' thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wondering about your absence and asked God to bless you and your family. My husbands mother passed away last week. It is very hard to let go of the people that have meant so much to us thru our lives. We will never forget them, they live on in us and our children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've been missed.. Awesome on passing your 5 year milestone.. bittersweet as it is.. Its a blessing!
    My condolences to you & your family..

    Wishing you much peace & rest in the next few weeks.. I think you deserve a huge break!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad your back I've missed your daily postings. Sorry for the loss suffered by your family but I rejoice with you that another honored soul has won her place in Glory. Congratulations on reaching your 5 yr mark, I hope each year after is continued with abundant blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Still missing you. I read your blog daily and have learned so much. Praying for you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails