Thursday, October 11, 2012

Canning Butternut



With a plentiful harvest of butternut squash I decided to allow some to remain in storage in the pantry for baking and to can some for convenience in making pies. The Ball Blue Book does not give instructions for canning winter squash or pumpkin but you can find instructions at National Center For Home Food Preservation.



First of all wash and heat jars and set aside. Place lids in warm water to heat. Also place large pot of water to boil for pouring over the squash and place several inches of water in the bottom of your pressure canner (according to manufacturers instructions) and heat up.



You start with cutting your squash in half and removing the seeds with a spoon. I keep the seeds for planting next years crop and roast the rest for my family as a snack. Then I cut the halves in half again for easier peeling.


Then I peel my squash removing that hard outer peeling. Once peeled I cut the squash into 1 inch pieces.


Place pieces into hot quart jars leaving 1 inch headspace 


Pour boiling water over squash pieces again leaving 1 inch headspace.



Use plastic wand to remove air bubbles from jar.



Wipe rims to remove any food particles or residue.



Apply warm lids and rings and finger tighten only.









Place jars in pressure canner and process at 10 pounds pressure for 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts and 55 minutes for pints. Allow canner to cool and pressure gauge to return to zero. 



 Remove from canner and allow to cool overnight and seal. Any unsealed jars need to be refrigerated. I wipe all my sealed jars down with a warm soapy wash cloth and then dry and label before putting in pantry to store. 

Another 14 jars for the pantry.

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


9 comments:

  1. Do you know if the canning times are the same for sweet potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great ! I love the way you show how to do it as well as explain it . Great photos . I used to do canning with my mum but after she passed I stopped ! I don't remember half of what to do any more but with your wonderful way of showing us I may just get back into it ! Thanks for sharing . Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. About how many squash did you use for 7 quarts? Then what all do you use your canned squash for? I planted butternut squash this year and have quite a few. I don't want them to go to waste. Any help with recipes would be greater appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My squash were pretty big so a squash for each quart with laftovers. Myfavorite thing to do with squash is baked in the oven with honey and a touch of brown sugar. My husband loves the Butternut pie that I make. I find that any recipe that calls for pumpkin puree, or sweet potato puree that this butternut squash can be substituted.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a presser canner. Can you just Water bath them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loves butternut squash bread! Several years ago, I grew some for her and we made the bread together. I will have to try that again this year.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails