Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cream Peas And New Potatoes


Recently I did a post on seasonal eating and one of the dishes I showed was creamed peas and new potatoes. I received several requests for a post on making this dish. Creamed peas is a dish that is looked forward to in my family with almost as much anticipation as that first vine ripened tomato. Peas usually always start producing about the same time as the potatoes start to produce small potatoes. Harvesting those new potatoes is as easy as pulling the soil or straw away from that potato stem and finding the very young small potatoes.  

When eating seasonally the meals are about firsts. That first fresh lettuce salad after a long winter with no fresh greens. Those first crisp and succulent asparagus spears thrown on the grill. That first ear of fresh corn, or ripe tomato.  For many the sweet fresh taste of those peas is such a treat. It just makes sense to pair it with the smooth taste of the new potatoes stolen from under those still producing vines. 


Rinse potatoes to remove any soil. I used 4 medium sized new potatoes with 2 cups of fresh peas. 


Because the peeling is immature you should be able to simply scrape off the peeling with the edge of a sharp knife or scrub it off with a scrub brush or pad.


I then chopped my potatoes into 1 inch pieces and added about 2 cups of fresh peas. Cover with water and bring to a boil and boil until potatoes are soft and cooked through. 


Drain.


Return to pot and add 1/2 stick of butter. Return to flame and melt butter and get hot.


Now add 4 Tablespoons flour to a measuring cup and add enough milk or cream to make a thin paste. Stir well to remove lumps.




Add your flour paste to hot peas and butter mixture and stir well. Continue to stir and cook on low until it thickens well. Then add additional milk or cream until you get a thick and creamy consistency.




Add salt and pepper to taste. My father also loved pearl onions in with his potatoes and peas. 


I spent an afternoon in the kitchen canning chicken broth, shelling peas and making dinner. I served my potatoes and peas with homegrown ham steaks and fresh broccoli. 

I hope this helps any of you wanting to make this traditional spring dish.
Want something a little different throw in the pot a little diced garlic chives...better yet some mint.


 Hoping every meal is fresh and homegrown!


 Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter 

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite dishes plus onions. Beautiful! And now I'm hungry for just that meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to try this. I've got potatoes and peas planted this year and I can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up this was always the first meal we ate from the garden, and the best one in my opinion. We should be eating this in a week or so here, can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes...!! the perfect "first" veggie meal... 'cept my auntie always made peas with dumplings once she no longer had room with her little apartment garden for potatoes and I now often make peas with seashell macaroni for the grandbabes... they love finding peas hidden inside each little curved shell... thanks for the rememberies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had the creamed peas before. Usually over rice.
    May have to try it with potatoes and onions, too. Thanks, CQ! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails