Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Day In The Kitchen


It was a rainy day so it seemed appropriate to blanch and freeze asparagus since I was stuck in the house anyway. My refrigerator was overflowing and I knew I had to deal with it. 


So I washed and then blanched it all



Then put it on cookie sheets and froze until frozen solid.


Then taken out of the freezer and put into Foodsaver bags.


Then the air removed...



And another 10 bags ready to go into the freezer. We have already canned several batches and this adds to our growing stash in the freezer. 


Soon we will stop picking the asparagus and side dress with compost and allow to grow all season undisturbed other than a few fresh stalks we may sneak occasionally to eat fresh from the grill. The asparagus harvest has been good this year though and we are thankful.


Blessings from The Harvest

7 comments:

  1. Here's a dumb question...boil or steam for blanching? And how long for something like asparagus? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going against all literature I blanch in my microwave for 3 minutes : ) The canning police may come get me but I love doing it that way. Put in 9X13 dishes and cover with wrap. Microwave 3 minutes then take out and lay on cookie sheets and quick freeze. No water = no soggy asparagus.

      Delete
  2. CQ, The asparagus looks so good, I'm coming over your house for some....LOL. As asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. What would we do with out our food saver? I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!
    Love that you do what works, too.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hope O Wise One is continuing to improve. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip of freezing asparagus! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking this to the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    I haven't froze asparagus yet. We usually only get enough for a couple of meals. We tried them roasted in the oven sprinkled with seasoned salt. omgoodness they were good!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails