Monday, August 1, 2011

Dehydrated Hash Brown Potatoes



This year we were lucky enough to get our potatoes planted by St. Patrick's Day. Therefore they were able to take advantage of those cool early spring temperatures and early spring rains. We were rewarded with a bumper crop of potatoes this year. It doesn't always work out that way !

Without a root cellar I have to come up with creative ways to preserve at least part of this potato harvest. So I start with canning some small new potatoes. These I prepare smothered in butter, garlic and parsley. 

Then when the green beans come in I throw some of the small potatoes in with my green beans.

During the digging there are always potatoes that get nicked by the potato fork. If they are not canned quick they will rot so I chunk these into small pieces for soups and stews, Potato salads and casseroles.The peelings go to the hogs and nothing is wasted : )

Then some we have started grating and dehydrating as Hash browns for not only breakfasts but also casseroles. This is a good way to reduce a large amount of potatoes down to a very small space to store. I put mine in jars with oxygen absorbers.  


Here is a link to how I do mine:      hash browns

As long as it is dry we will leave  some in the ground as long as possible. I will continue to preserve as many as possible. This fall we will dig them and move them to the shed to be stored in straw to eat on into the winter months. 



Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

13 comments:

  1. Busy...wonderful produce. There is an art to preserving and I do believe you are an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of drying them for storage. I also do not have a root cellar, but store mine in an attached garage for the winter. Cool out there, but not to cold. If we do get some very cold temps, I cover them with some old towels. They last in SE Michigan till March. Happy Canning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best blog I follow. Your garden is my dream garden. How do you not have weeds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted that recipe for the hash browns, very useful ..thanks a zillion...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We now have to dehydrate hash browns! We do have a root cellar but I dry the ones that get speared. Usually, I dice them. I like variety though:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hashbrowns! You are always surprising me! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for that link, CQ. What sort of dehydrator do you have? Just curious. I make my own jerky, but that can be done in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of drying potatoes. And I never canned potatoes. Our potatoes are ready to dig. Can't wait to see what kind of crop we get.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've dried potatoes for au gratin and scalloped dishes but never hashbrowns. I'm gonna try that one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you fry them directly from that dehydrated/dried state or do you re-hydrate then fry? Wonder if I could dehydrate in my gas oven with pilot light, rather than a dehydrator. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rehydrate first and then squeeze out the water. Give a small batch a try in your oven and see I thin it would work : )

      Delete
  11. How long did it take to dehydrate them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you have a recipe for your green beans and potatoes? do you season them too?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails