Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Old Mama Hen


The second broody hen of the season has hatched and thus far has 9 babies. I love to see these mamas waddling around the chicken yard clucking to their little ones. Even cuter the little ones scurrying under mamas wings for protection.  We know we must keep a very close eye on the chicken yard for predators now as these babies are especially vulnerable.

It continues to storm here almost daily and we have had both severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches on and off for several days. We watch the news and see damage that our Missouri neighbors have suffered in Joplin Mo.from a deadly tornado. Our hearts bleed for the loss of life and property and makes us doubly aware of our own daily weather conditions.  Thus far it has just been heavy downpours, some high wind and scattered hail. There was a small tornado about 40 miles from us the same afternoon as the Joplin tornado. Our only casualty has been a flat of tomato plants that I didn't get off the porch rail fast enough and the wind dumped them : (

For all those that have called or emailed to check on us we are fine as most of the really bad storms have been south of us. We so appreciate the concern though! We pray that the front that creates these storm conditions that are sitting over us moves out soon before there is more loss of life.

But for now we keep our own chicks close and run for shelter when necessary. I do ask that everyone please pray for those people in Joplin as they struggle to grieve and bury their dead. I pray for help from God for them to rebuild their lives and heal from this horrible disaster.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

3 comments:

  1. I've prayed for all, everywhere and pray that you all will continue to be safe, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer are going out to all the people who have lost life, homes, and friends. This wild weather needs to end soon! Happy to hear that you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had bad weather this week too, in our area... it has really been a sad week for so many. I'm glad your farm and you are in one piece!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails