Monday, January 10, 2011

Granola For Breakfast

I rarely buy sugary breakfast cereals anymore. We have started eating homemade granola in the mornings. I buy large boxes of oats and use raisins, my homegrown dehydrated apples, honey from the Amish, pecans or walnuts off the farm and sometimes throw in coconut. We eat this with milk for breakfast, over yogurt and sometimes just straight out of the canister as a quick snack during the day. Heart healthy and delicious and much more economical that those little boxes of cereal.    

Granola

12 cups uncooked oats
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup flour ( I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light olive oil 1 1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups raisins
2 cups nuts chopped
In a very large mixing bowl combine oats, coconut, flour, powdered milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt and mix well. In a sauce pan heat oil, honey and vanilla just until warm. Pour this over the oats and stir very well until everything is evenly mixed. Spread this in thin layer on several large cooking sheets and bake in oven at 3oo degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour stirring every fifteen minutes. Every fifteen minutes when I stir I rotate the pans from top to bottom so they all brown evenly. When done pour onto wax paper or aluminum foil and allow to cool. When completely cool add in dried fruit such as raisins and nuts.  Store in airtight containers or Ziploc bags. This recipe will make approximately 20 cups.
( I have substituted maple syrup for honey, used dried cranberries and even dried apples in place of the raisins. Get creative)

Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! We will surely use it for our own breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous recipe. Thanks so much! I love granola to go with our homemade yogurt but it is SO expensive. This is amazing! Thanks Thanks Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for a healthy yummy granola recipe. This sounds like what my family and I would enjoy. Wonder if I could toss in some other dehydrated fruit such as blueberries or blackberries...😋😋😋😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Roasted Pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries are our favorite. Great with yogurt.

      Delete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails