Friday, September 3, 2010

Saving Seeds


Yep it is that time of year!

The smell of hay is in the air, the apples are hanging red on the trees.

The kids are back in school.

Fall is right around the corner.

Here in Hickery Holler it is seed saving time. We try to grow as many open pollinated varieties as possible in order to save our own seeds every year and avoid the expense of buying seed . When you garden like we do it can really add up!

The beans are the first to be dried in the field and then shelled out and put on sheets of newspaper to completely dry inside. These are a Horticulture Bean which is white and cooks down with a thick white gravy. You can't buy these in the store.

The red ones are a Louisiana Red Bean. They are very similar to the horticulture bean as they cook down with a thick red gravy. They are simmered for a long time with onions and garlic and usually a spicy sausage. They are a traditional South Louisiana fare and can be found served in almost every restaurant in the French Quarter in New Orleans on Mondays.

 No they are not the same as Pinto Beans. They are not available dry in this area. When we first moved here we used to have them shipped mail order from Louisiana. Now we grow our own as it is much cheaper. Therefore we have to save seeds every year.

After they are completely dry they are put in paper envelopes and replanted in the spring.


Blessings from The Holler

The Canned Quilter

2 comments:

  1. I have been trying my hand at seed saving,I hope to get where I have just about all my crops saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails